1.That neither of us will ever say “I really shouldn’t” when the dessert menu comes and let that stop us ordering something.
2. That you’ll never mention it when I show up in a piece of clothing that clearly should have been ironed. I know it, you know it, but I just couldn’t be arsed, OK?
3. That wherever we are and whatever we’re doing, cake will always be an appropriate snack.
4. That if one of us fails to get the job or the boyfriend or the house that we wanted, the other will provide the required dose of IT’S THEIR LOSS ANYWAY, BABE, YOU CAN DO SO MUCH BETTER to restore our faith in humanity.
5. That whatever it is, you can tell me.
6. That you’ll smile and nod when I start talking about the level to which it is currently KICKING OFF in Coronation Street [or enter your own televisual favourite here] – despite not watching, caring, or wishing to hear a single detail more about it.
7. That if there is something on my face that shouldn’t be there, you will tell me STRAIGHT AWAY.
8. That I will always let you finish having a well-earned moan before I start to explain why things really aren’t that bad.
9. That if I’m being a dick, you’ll let me know. And that I’ll have the courage to do the same.
10. That when you ask me how ‘following my dreams’ is going, you’re prepared for a long and emotional response.
11. That when I cry at your wedding/birthday party/leaving do, you’ll be kind enough to lie and say that nobody noticed.
12. That we’ll run all photographic evidence of a night out that involved dancing passed each other before uploading it to social media.
13. That we can discuss the highs and lows of having bodies, bowels and brains without embarrassment. There’s no room for shame between friends.
14. That I may not have the required skirt, hair, or ability to kick my legs more than two inches above the ground, but I will be your cheerleader for life.
15. That ‘because I was planning to spend today doing absolutely nothing’ is a perfectly reasonable response to the suggestion of a get together. Everybody needs their space.
16. That I won’t let you walk around with food all over your top. I can’t promise I’ll always have a replacement on me, but I will dab the hell out of that stain like any good friend should.
17. That we won’t feel the need to beat each other around the head with our mistakes – but just to slowly place them under the other person’s eyes if it looks like they might accidentally start walking down that road again.
18. That a ‘What are you wearing tonight?’ text message sent ahead of an evening out will always receive a thorough response to ease the nerves of the woman who sent it (who is no doubt currently on her knees in front of her wardrobe and claiming she has so few clothes that she may as well just cut three holes in a bin bag and wear that etc.).
19. That we’ll both just pretend not to notice what happens to our hair in hot weather.
20. That you understand that when I buy a bag of Percy Pigs, it’s because I want to eat every single one of them. Best get your own packet, yeah?
21. That if you choose to spend your life with someone, I will not let you settle for anything less than the superhero you deserve.
22. That we’ll put the necessary effort in to making sure we’re still friends when we’re old and grey.
23. And that you’ll be kind enough not to mention that I am already both of those things.